Teacher of the Year

Yup. I interviewed today. I don't know how I did, but I answered from the cuff and I didn't care, if I made it past district or not.

Four years ago I was on a growth plan at another school. The big bowl of suck stew was even steamoer because I had gone from being thought of as this great teacher to an insecure, blithering, nose bleeder with no boundaries. My fuck you was totally broke.

What I know now is that it was a person's opinion of me. They made it hard to do my job. They put me down, bullied, even sabotaged. I did not have the resources I needed to meet their expectations. A terrible time yoked with my divorce, hateful, vindictive in laws and a new relationship had me looking for rock real estate cause i was crawlin'. My beautiful four kids and their well being as well as wondering if I was setting them up for psychological care took up the forefront.

What I learned was that, opinions can be important, but more important is what YOU think, especially when the opinions are born from malice or fear or ineptitude. Yeah. That's pretty elementary, but I AM a well establiahed slow-ass  learner. It's ridiculously easy to go along with someone saying you suck, when you already think so.

I took this lesson to my kids_and by kids I mean, my students. I got what it felt like to have unmet needs and impossible expectations placed on me. I look at my kids now with these well earned eyes. I believe that it was those eyes that put me in an interview for Teacher of the Year and the same ones that help me see that it's not that big a deal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a dork...

Insides and outsides

Upside Downside